Jewelry Allergies - Help

The jewelers are extremely important especially for the first piercing. The preferable metal is titanium, as this one is the most convenient and does not contain toxic substances, which reduces the chances of allergies, suppurations and infections. Normally, it is essential that the piercing has the appropriate size for the body spot where it is going to be placed.

Stay away from allergies
Watch for skin rash and itching at the site of the jewelry. The reaction usually stays at the location of contact, but can spread to surrounding tissue. Pay attention to a tingling, itchy feeling after the jewelry has been worn for 20 minutes. A nickel allergy can manifest quickly and become a red rash or watery blisters within a couple of days of contact.

Before you make an app. make sure that you know what jewel material your allergic. You must be well informed! Don't hesitate to contact your piercer or doctor for advice. If your prone to infections or allergic of nickel you should definitely choose another jewel - made from a different material.

See a dermatologist for medication to treat contact dermatitis caused by jewelry allergies. Treatment may include topical corticosteroids to reduce inflammation. Realize that in case of an infection resulting from the allergic reaction, antibiotics may be required to treat the area.

Resist the temptation to scratch itchy areas around jewelry sites. Scratching can break the skin barrier and allow bacteria to enter the irritated skin. Once this occurs, infection can spread rapidly to the surrounding tissue.

Wear stainless steel, solid gold or 925 sterling silver jewelry. This eliminates jewelry with nickel content.

Reduce the risk of an allergic reaction to jewelry by using stainless steel or high-quality 18K gold studs for ear piercing. Allow the skin to heal completely before attempting to wear any other kind of earring. If an allergy develops, discontinue wear.

Body Jewelry - Metal Hypersensitivity
Hypoallergenic metals put less strain on the immune system trying to heal the piercing, which increases the chances of the piercing healing well. Your body piercer should ask you about any metal sensitivity that you possess before proceeding with the piercing.  Usually, people don't even know if they have metal hypersensitivity, let alone what kind of metal is in their piercing. To be honest, it is a responsibility shared by both customer and body piercer, and it is the piercer who should be the first to raise the question of sensitivity. People who react when wearing watches with metal backs, buttons on jeans or belt-buckles, can assume that they may have a nickel allergy; which is common. A European directive exists where piercing jewelers, used in the piercing initially, must contain less than 0.05% nickel, and slightly higher for jeweler used once the piercing is healed. This is true in the case of 'nickel-free' surgical steel because it contains less than 0.01% nickel and is graded 316L; whereas 'common' surgical steel can contain more than 10% nickel. Nickel is a major cause of allergic skin reactions. Most allergic reactions to nickel are minor and can easily be treated with medicated creams, though a more serious outbreak could require additional medication. A doctor will be able to determine if you have nickel allergy. Nickel is often used in jewelry as an alloy to add stability to soft metals such as silver. The reaction is most usually not to the pure silver or gold, but to the metal additive.

As the most recommended type of piercing jewelry - Titanium is a good way to avoid infections. Surgical Implantation grade Titanium (6A1 4V to BS7252), like Niobium is ideal in most new piercings because the metal is biocompatible; it doesn't cause a biological reaction in our bodies. Titanium can also be colored in a safe and biocompatible way meaning that, though the color will fade in time, it will not react with most people's bodies

Avoid the Silver Madness
Girls usually are anxious to change their jewels... But, silver is not pure. It is, like lower grades of gold, mixed with other metals, nickel in particular, and so should be avoided in a fresh piercing. Low grade gold, like 9carat gold, contains at least 15 other metals and so should be avoided.
Some Acrylic jewellery is considered biocompatible, but acrylics can fracture more easily over time and a break in the jewellery could damage the piercing or scratches on the acrylics surface can house plenty of germs and bacteria. The same can be said for Retainer jewellery, clear acrylic worn in the piercing to make it less visible to others. Acrylic jewellery would be better viewed as temporary jewellery, though I hasten to add that problems are less likely to occur if the piercing is properly maintained and is well healed. PTFE (polytetraflouroethylene), however, is an inert plastic that is very flexible and so used in many surface piercings where rejection would be caused by tension created by stiff, metal jeweler in the skin. Its flexibility lessens tension placed on the tissue of a fresh piercing and so does not inhibit the tissue's ability to heal well.

Signs of Allergic Reaction - Piercing
You may develop an allergic reaction even though you are properly taking care of your piercing. You may be allergic to the piece of jewelry or your piercing may have been done with contaminated tools. Health problems can occur during and after rejection including infection, allergic reaction, inflammation, and scarring or pitting of the tissue. As a result, it is extremely important to know the signs of when your body is rejecting a piercing.

Watch out for changes in the skins thickness above the jewelry. Signs of rejection include thinning and tightness of the skin on top of the jewelry. You will know you have an allergic reaction when you experience any of the following: an odd smell, an infection that won't go away, persistent bleeding, redness/inflammation of the area and/or skin lesions. The jewelry's entrance point may be raw, ooze pus or have lesions or blisters. Even worse, you may possibly run a fever because of a bacterial infection.

Check the holes where your skin was pierced. Signs of rejection include holes that have widened or have moved closer together. You may see stretch marks or scarring indicating that that the jewelry has migrated. If you have any sign of a piercing rejection, immediately return to the person who performed the piercing and get a second opinion; or seek medical assistance.

If you experience any symptoms of an infection or allergic reaction - fever, chills, rash, difficulty breathing or chest pain - seek immediate medical assistance. If you are experiencing bleeding, apply direct pressure to the area. If you experience irritation, apply a cold pack. Do not apply the cold pack directly to your belly button, use a shirt or a towel as a barrier. Wash the belly button gently and thoroughly with antibacterial soap.

Avoid:
Avoid jewelry that is made out of brass and/or nickel, as these can prompt an allergic reaction. Stick with jewelry that is made of 14 or 18 karat gold, titanium, surgical-grade steel or niobium.

Remember: Allergic reactions to nickel are rare, but as with all allergies, there is a percentage of the population that suffers from legitimate nickel allergies. While nickel is a mineral that is recommended for daily intake, the normal recommended amount is so small that anything more could cause a negative reaction in a person who has a nickel allergy.

Monitoring the pierced area and treating the best way you can it's very important!

CHECK OUT:

Genital Piercing Risks
Body Piercing-Healing Phases
Saline Solution-What to Use & How to Soak
Antibacterial Products for Piercing
Piercing Aftercare Awareness
When Is the Right Time To Get Pierced